It has been a good few weeks of being at home. Many of us have been feeling really comfortable in our PJs (I know of a few who do not even bother changing out of them). Some of us have also started to become more relax with our grooming routine and there are endless concerns about how we are all putting on weight while being a couch potato.
Without knowing when the pandemic will be over, we may start to feel lethargic about life. Hey, it doesn’t have to be this way! In the midst of all the negative news, we still have to be upbeat about life. Feeling fabulous gives us the energy and sets us in the right mood to find meaningful things to do.
Here are some ways you can feel fabulous working and spending time at home!
Dress up for work
Most of us, globally, are working from home. It sounds great that you can wake up a good one hour later as we no longer have to commute. The best part is that we do not have to change into our workwear since some of us do not even have to video call our colleagues.
However, this creates a situation where it becomes harder for us to segregate our working hours with our leisure time. When the time where we work and relax are blurred, both the quality of our work and our leisure time are impacted negatively. One way to alleviate this is by changing into your usual working attire, apply your makeup and groom your hair before you head to your workstation at home. Applying makeup when you start your day also allows you to be always video-ready. It is never fun to rush to look ready for your video calls. However, if you are tight for time, we do have some tips here.
Some of you might feel that dressing up for working at home is ridiculous since you will not be meeting clients or colleagues. However, dressing up prepares you psychologically for work. The 15 to 30 minutes spent on dressing up is meant to switch your mental mode from leisure to work. You will definitely feel more professional and confident. This sets you in the right mood to face the work challenges during the day.
Spray your favourite perfume
We believe most of our perfumes are sitting at a quiet corner at home. Yes? During this stay-at-home period, we tend to forget that putting on perfume is also an important way to make us feel confident and fabulous about ourselves. It awakens the soul! Perfumes have been doing wonders by boosting our image and personality for the longest time. As we continue to feel jaded spending all our time at home, you will be surprised, what a spritz of perfume can do to lift up your mood and make you feel happier. Here are some of my favourites.
Dress up for dinners at home on weekends
Make weekends at home more fun and exciting. Spend some time to choose a party dress and put it on before gathering around the dinner table on weekends. We need to create variations in our daily life to complement our working from home schedule. It is definitely more pleasurable to have something fun to look forward to!
Of course, to be Instagram ready, do remember to complete the look with makeup. We have some suggestions for the various types of lightings you may have at home.
General lighting is the most common in houses and it has a comfortable level of brightness. For this lighting, we recommend for fresh and light makeup.
- Foundation: Tinted moisturiser or a light layer of foundation.
- Face: Stick to a brush of blusher on your cheeks and avoid heavy contouring.
- Eyes: Groomed eyebrows and neutral shades for the eyeshadow. Keep your eyeliner to brown tones and curl your lashes.
- Lips: A tinted lip bum or nude shade of lipstick / gloss.
[Row 2: L-R] Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm; Shisedo Eyelash Curler; Dior Backstage Eye Palette; Heroine Kissme Super Waterproof Long & Curl Mascara. Image credits: Sephora; Wastons SG
Accent lighting is slightly dimmer and often has a tint of yellow or orange. For this lighting, you can choose to have a slightly heavier makeup. Here’s what we recommend.
- Foundation: Liquid foundation and a good concealer to conceal your eyebags and blemishes.
- Eyes: Groomed eyebrows. For eyeshadow, you can consider having light smokey eyes. Accentuate your eyeliner and do apply two coats of your mascara.
- Face: Enhance your features by applying blusher. Highlight the bridge of your nose and cheekbones with a highlighter to give a more glowy and fresh look.
- Lips: Apply a good solid coloured lipstick to give your face a nice flush under the light.
[Row 1: L-R] Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Hydrating Longwear Foundation; Integrate Eyebrow Pencil; Etudehouse Lovely Cookie Blusher; Dior Backstage Eye Palette. Image credits: Sephora; Wastons SG; Etudehouse
Candlelight dinner at home is romantic but you cannot deny that the dim environment may not be the most flattering for your makeup. You will want to enhance your features so that you can bring out all your fabulous features. Here’s what we recommend.
- Foundation: Have a good foundation coverage and make sure that your blemishes are well concealed.
- Eyes: Groomed eyebrows and smokey eyes. You can consider choosing an eyeshadow with light shimmer. Work on your eyeliner and you can throw on falsies too!
- Face: Contour your face by highlighting the bridge of your nose and cheeks. Layer on blusher on your cheeks.
- Lips: Choose a stronger lip colour which will will not look washed out under the dim lighting. A bright lipstick will be perfect.
Remember to feel fabulous and make staying at home productive and fulfilling!
Do let us know what you think about the above article. Feel free to ask us for more product recommendations by commenting below.
We also conduct online makeup classes. Do check out this link to register.
Products Featured & Where To Buy?
We have in stock some of the products mentioned above. Email us at email@example.com to purchase!
[L-R] Shiseido Eyelash Curler @ SGD$16; Integrate Gel Eyeliner (Brown or Black) @ SGD$20; Integrate Eyebrow (Brown) Pencil @ SGD$16
For others, you can purchase via the links below.
- L’OCCITANE en Provence Singapore
- Sephora (Beauty Pass Sale announced for 5 to 7 May 2020. Be sure to shortlist the products you need!)